Monday 21 January 2008

Disappointment....

Went to Tower of London on Sunday, which was most disappointing thing we've been to so far in our tourist-in-London endeavours...

It was £16 each for tickets and totally over-priced. Very little in the way of information boards to tell you about what you were wandering through - so very little sense of history on our way around.

There was an "exhibition" on torture in the tower, which was pretty tame (I've seen much better in eastern Europe...) and had the bizarre feature of an "entry poll" which asked people to vote on whether they thought torture was acceptable all, some or none of the time. Frighteningly, the vast majority of visitors had voted for all or some of the time, with only about 1/3 saying none of the time. As Kevin said, it would have been more interesting if they'd done an exit poll to take views after reading about the effects of torture!!

The highlight, of course, was meant to be the Crown Jewels. I'm sure I've been told that only replicas are in situ in the tower but there did seem to be a lot of security around them so who knows... There was a bizarre moving escalator to take you past the various crowns which I could see the point of from an efficiency perspective, but which felt a bit ungrateful from an "I've paid £16 and I'm a London council tax payer" perspective!!

Anyway...that was all after I'd been out to Kent early Sunday morning to take part in the Dartford 10 mile race. This involved a train trip on what is a truly marvellous public transport system compared to Scotland's own, leaving London Bridge at 8am and arriving in Kent a mere 30 minutes later. I completed the race in about 86 mins which is a lot less than my PB from 4 years ago, but still pretty good considering my focus is on distance not speed at the moment. I managed a sprint finish too!

Prior to that, we'd spent Saturday working and not doing very much, and Friday evening out in Soho with a friend of mine and her husband. We met in a cinema bar, had a few drinks and then Kevin and I succumbed to a Chinese meal before we walked home - it is so absolutely fantastic to be able to walk home from the west end (only 30-40 minutes!).

Last night we went to the Clapham Picturehouse to see No Country for Old Men, which I'm sure is a cult classic but I was a bit too tired to appreciate it after my early morning running escapades... It was alright but a bit 'what's the point of this exactly?'. And we missed the last tube home by a mere minute, which meant two buses and a later night than would have been ideal. But who schedules film timings so that people miss the last tube!?

Anyway, another week, more work and more work-searching...more news in due course!

Seyonara tout le monde xx

2 comments:

impossible songs said...

Thanks for the comment, the car is not as real a sports car as your mums, nor as cute. Glad to hear that TT went so well and you are a convert (unlike me), who knows where this will end for you?

GB X said...

Dear Em, Am practising posting comments !!

Felt exactly like you when visiting in the late 1960's. Some things don't change. Love your Blog.
GBX